JACQUES DERNIER: Frenchie Howling Commando [bio]

JACQUES DERNIER: Frenchie Howling Commando [bio]
""…That France might be Free!"''


-->

Comic Book History


Who is JACQUES DERNIER?
Jacques Dernier, nicknamed by his comrades as Frenchie, and as his nickname denotes is a frenchman resistance freedom fighter during Marvel Comics World War II. Jacques Dernier was created by Stan Lee and Dick Ayers, who made his first appearance in Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #21 (August 1965) but was not named until Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #40 (March 1967).
First Appearance



Jacques Dernier the French resistance fighter had several run-ins with Sergeant Fury's Howling Commandos and occassionally worked with them throughout the 2nd World War. He was freed from Nazi capture by Fury and his squad.

Jacques "Frenchie" Dernier Comicbook Appearances.
Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos #40

Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos #55

Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos #56

Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos #78


Dernier is a high ranking leader in the French underground. He played a critical role in the D-Day operations that trapped high-ranking Nazis inside a chateau during the Allied invasion. Later that same night, he lead a team to rescue the Howlers from capture by the SS.



LIVE MEDIA APPEARANCE/S


BRUNO RICCI
The character of Jacques Dernier has been adapted for the film Captain America: The First Avenger where he was portrayed by actor Bruno Ricci. In this adaptation he is full-pledged member of the Howling Commandos.






POWERS & ABILITIES
Note: Due to the nature of comicbooks being an on-going tale, the character's powers along with his appearance, is in a constant state of flux.


Jacques Dernier is a normal human being who have undergone extensive military training.


Sources : http://marvel.wikia.com/Jacques_Dernier_(Earth-616) : http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=55781 : http://nickfuryagentofshield.com/ww2/bios/ww2supcast.html : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Dernier#Jacques_Dernier : http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/dernierjacques.htm



This is the 124th article in my Know Your CBM Character series. Any requests and suggestions for an article for this series write it down in the comment section BELOW.


Build up your GEEKCREDS by answering this:
Who is the character below? [Use the comment section to write what is the character's connection to JACQUES DERNIER]
Get more GEEKCreds [HERE]


CBM FIGHT CLUB CHALLENGE

JACQUES DERNIER vs POOCH PORTEOUS

CBM FightClub Ranking
Win/s

Loss/es



CBM FightClub Ranking
Win/s

Loss/es


POOCH PORTEOUS
(see bio)




I have to apologize ahead to and to other guys who thinks these bio about lesser CBM character is unimportant. I also would like to extend my appreciation to you guys for continuously taking a peek on these write-ups. I do agree that its better that I concentrate my writing on more famous/familiar characters but unfortunately I started these fansite to deliver some small insights on "CBM" characters and unfortunately for me these lesser known guys do fit that criteria. I'm running through Captain America characters because it is the most relevant as of the moment, and this is the only time that mainstream/non-comicbook fans (or even regular comicbook fans) will encounter these characters. Its good that they will know that the characters has roots in the comics. Who knows maybe these throw-away characters now may become A-listers someday, and many characters do start as unknowns. I think its my job (or curse) as a geek to share the story of these characters. Like most geek I have that sickness of being a completist and my aim is to catalog all the DC/Marvel character who has in one point been adapted to live media (Yup! Like Batman I have an unattainable dream). Again my deepest regrets to those who find my articles bothersome. I give you my biggest respect.


Message to the CBM community:
To those who are making requests, check first [here] because I might have done an article on the character already. If I have not, please be patient, I will get on it as soon as possible (but consider the fact that I spend hours writing one of these articles). Try to limit your request to characters that already have been adapted to live media, so that the feature will at least be relevant to the site – Comic Book Movie(though I include TV characters). Characters in Manga or Anime’, I am not particularly familiar of, I am not discounting these characters but it will probably take some time before I write a feature on them because I have to read up on these characters. Thank you for reading these articles! If there are errors on the feature article above, blame it on my age, humanity and ignorance. Just be sure to check the comment section for the corrections, any error I made will surely be pointed out and corrected by much bigger geeks (because there will always be a bigger geek out there). -This has been PollMaster inviting you to the geekside. MABUHAY CBM and Godspeed!


FOLLOW ME ON:


POST IN THE COMMENT SECTION YOUR FAVORITE ARTIST RENDITION OF JACQUES DERNIER